I’ve lost almost 100 pounds. I know that deprivation dieters feel at parties– indulgence all around while we munch carrots. Summer picnic season is especially hard. Here are decadently diet summer desserts. That’s not an oxymoron. You really can have your cake and eat it too! Just in time for Memorial Day, graduation open houses, Father’s Day, baptisms, weddings, 4th of July.
* Switch oil and sugar for applesauce in baked goods. Substitute unsweetened (homemade preferred) applesauce and get antioxidant fat burners. Use in cakes, cookies, cupcakes, muffins, brownies and bars–yes even chocolate kinds.
* Boost flavor in calorie free ways. Reduce sugar and add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves or extra vanilla. Add cold coffee to chocolate baked goods.
* Bake with milled flax seed instead of eggs and oil. Flax seed is full of good MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids). Substituting loses cholesterol, saturated and transfats and gains omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. One egg equals one tablespoon flax seed plus three tbsp. water. Three tablespoons flax seed equal one tablespoon oil, butter, margarine.
* Trade wheat for whole grains. Bake with oats and whole grain flours to get the most fiber and omega fatty acids for your calorie investment.
* Swap out milk. Cut calories, fat and sugar substituting almond and coconut milk for dairy in foods. Plus you get fatty acids. I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
* Substitute Greek yogurt for dairy. Use plain nonfat Greek yogurt in place of cream, cottage cheese, ice cream, cream cheese, milk, sour cream and some cheeses.
* Sweeten healthier. Use fruit and 100 percent juice, pure maple syrup. Avoid artificial sweeteners except for Splenda, stevia, monk fruit and xylitol. I use zero calorie Ideal sweetener.
* Swap alcohol for iced coffee. Booze is an appetite stimulant, metabolism depressant. Men’s Health Eat This Not That touts iced coffee as an appetite suppressant, belly fat burner and metabolism booster. Make your own coffee. Add fat-free, sugarfree non-dairy creamer. Freeze and slush. You can bake with non-dairy creamer, too
* Swap out ice cream. Enjoy frozen yogurt, Skinny Cow frozen and Weight Watchers frozen novelties. Top desserts with light whipped topping.
* Have some candy. Seriously. Dr. Oz says 70-percent or higher cacao dark chocolate is a fat burner. Yes, please!
* Bake with almond butter, PB2 (fat free peanut powder). Use PB2 chocolate for a light Nutella alternative. Mix with yogurt for a fruit dip, trifle or torte filling or cake frosting.
* Blast fat with a Molotov Fruit Cocktail. Try this antioxidant-rich fat blaster fruit grenade. Mix chunk muskmelon and honeydew, grapefruit sections, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and sliced bananas. Top with Greek yogurt, shaved 70-percent cacao dark chocolate and sliced almonds.
Make desserts multitask, burning fat while satisfying your sweet tooth.
Published by Marilisa Sachteleben